I know how hard you’ve worked to succeed. I know you are committed to creating the life of your dreams.
This is not a simple task you’ve taken on. It requires breaking out of the comfort of the familiar and risking something new.
That’s why I want to be sure I share this potential threat to your success that if left unchecked could undermine your dreams.
Fear of Failure Can Stop You in Your Tracks!
How high is the cost of fear? Failure is a good motivator but problem is that failure is traumatic. When the trauma of past failures takes root, it leads to limiting beliefs – beliefs that hold you back.
Here are some SIGNS that your fear of failure is holding you back:
- You won’t tell anyone about your new project until you can prove its success.
- You think you’re not doing enough, regardless of the effort you’re making.
- You will not schedule self care or a vacation until you reach your goals.
A “no” causes you to question whether to continue moving forward.
Take action now to reduce the cost of your fear. Awareness is the key to change. Here’s an exercise to set the foundation for your success.
EXERCISE: Defusing Your Fear of Failure
Tonight, spend 15 minutes writing about your experience of failure by answering the questions below:
- What is my earliest memory of a time when I failed?
- Write as much as you can remember about the story including how old you were, what happened, who was there, what did you believe the others were thinking, how did you feel, and what did you decide about yourself at that moment?
- What are some other another times I’ve failed in my life? Follow the same format for answering this question.
Past Failures Can Lead You To Success
Failure can actually help you to succeed. Consider these benefits:
- Failure defines your path to success through trial and error.
- Failure illuminates your skills and highlights the need for improvement.
- Failure inspires growth by pushing you out of your comfort zone.
- Failure strengthens your character and commitment.
- Failure inspires others to take greater risks towards success.
- Risking failure will keep you from regret.